Writing - Should I pursue online creative writing course?



If the ability to write creatively were possible through courses, the world would rather have become the hub of institutes imparting knowledge on creative writing skills. Can’t deny the veracity of some institutes though, but if you ask me I never went for online creative writing course, or will not do so in future as well. 

Why? 

To my empirical insight, writing is more ‘application of your thought in the fashion that is semantically unique’ than ‘application of an imposed thought-pattern that is semantically artificial and sometimes an esoteric imposition’

This is why the world is fraught with countless writers bereft of distinctive flair in writing, but very few (finger-countable) ones who are truly gifted in their niche. As self-explanatory as it seems, success kisses the latter while oblivion is the reward of the former.

You will, if you Google down your query, receive deluge of pros and cons discourses arguing whether or not creative writing course leads to successful outcome of making the course-pursuer a talented and gifted writer, creatively. But my standpoint will always be in the antithesis of those viewpoints supporting such online creative writing course by claiming that notable efficiency comes if 
pursuer follows it with dedication. That is true, dedication definitely affords excellence, but isn't that true as well that self-practice with dedication affords the same level of excellence?

I barely got flummoxed like others when I read statement of Creative writing professor Hanif Kureishi condemning to his guts, that creative writing courses are 'a waste of time' (Creative writing professor Hanif Kureishi says such courses are 'a waste of time').
Quandary that most pursuers like you may encounter is the reliability of these courses. 

Over the last seven months, I have been receiving a mail from a UK-based institute (I’ve spammed it), attempting to persuade me to enroll for its creative writing course (can’t disclose the name on account of my morality). Well, the institute seems genuine on prima facie, as I have come to know various positive reviews supporting its veracity. 

However, I didn't bulge. I didn't get influenced.

I believe, and I have shared my empirical understanding about creating writing in many articles/blogs of mine, that writing is all about writer’s creative expression, and this expression is an acquired taste. It can’t be instilled in you through inculcated practice of your tutor until you are docile

And if you are docile, then believe me, you will never need your creativity being shaped by others – you will architect it by yourself...through dedicated practice and learning from others (seniors/known writers etc.). 

So, are online writing courses irrelevant? 

Well, as far as I concur, this depends on your docility, dedication quotient and financial condition (for sure this doesn't come cost-free). There were also some comments opposing viewpoint of Hanif, and some of them resonate my views as well. 

For instance, I agree with Matt Haig’s standpoint when he said - I do think some people will never be writers. Just like some people will never be architects or web designers. But good writing courses will help you work out if you are a writer or not." 

There are writing courses that can inflict changes in your relationship with the language (writing). 

So, the decision is all yours. 

If you intend to learn it on your own, then just flush out your ego and learn from mistakes. Keep on, as persistence is the reward of an improved talent and notable efficiency in creating writing. Hard work is always the blessing in disguise.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six Ways To Write Winning Web-Articles

PM Modi on ramping up testing to cease corona infection spike in India

My Hypothetical Rumination